Bashorun Dele Momodu has officially applied as presidential candidate of the Labour Party (LP). in the 2011 presidential polls. The Labour Party presidential hopeful presented his formal Letter of Intent to the National Chairman of the party, Chief (Dr.) Dan Uwanyanwu on Wednesday September 15, 2010 at the party headquarters in Abuja.
Bashorun Dele Momodu who was accompanied by his Campaign Manager, Ohimai Godwin Amaize and other members of his campaign staff was warmly received at the Labour Party headquarters by the National Chairman, Chief (Dr.) Dan Uwanyanwu; Deputy National Chairman Alhaji Ali Abacha, National Secretary, Alhaji Abdulsalam Abdulkadir Salam.
Presenting the two-page letter and a series of other documents, Bashorun Dele Momodu extolled the great vision of Labour Party under its current leadership as the last hope of the common man unlike some other parties that have been taken over and corrupted by the highest bidder phenomenon.
In his response, Chief (Dr.) Dan Uwanyanwu commended the courage, foresight and vision of Bashorun Dele Momodu describing him as a loyal and financial party member since he joined Labour Party early last year. He also noted that by this letter, Momodu is the first member of the party who has so far officially declared his aspiration to be the party’s presidential flagbearer in the 2011 presidential election.
Also today, the Dele Momodu Presidential Campaign Organisation released its official logo and slogan for the campaign. According to Ohimai Godwin Amaize, the logo is a creative expression of a human thumbprint protected by a circle of thirty-seven (37) stars symbolizing the power of the exercised mandate for Bashorun Dele Momodu protected by the Nigerian people in the thirty-six (36) states and Federal Capital Territory (FCT). The campaign has adopted “OUR TIME HAS COME!” as its official slogan.
Text of the Letter to Labour Party Read:
15th September, 2010
RE: REQUEST TO BE THE PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE OF LABOUR PARTY IN 2011
I wish to formally request the pleasure of our great party to be the flag bearer during the Presidential election coming up on January 22, 2011.
I have been a very loyal member of Labour Party since I met you personally in Abuja early last year. I was deeply encouraged by your vision of making the Labour Party the hope of ordinary Nigerians who have been yearning for good governance and accountability. I remember in particular your dream of giving Nigeria her own Obama.
The time has now come for all members of our party to pick the right candidate who can fulfill the dreams and aspirations of Nigerians. And we must stand out as a party of the common man and not that of the highest bidders who are on the prowl to buy up any available party.
It is for this reason and purpose that I humbly present myself as the perfect choice for this important mission.
Please, permit me to quickly enumerate the basis for my assertion.
* I hold both First and Second Degrees from the University of Ife, now Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife.
* I have worked variously as a teacher, journalist, businessman, publisher, social crusader, public speaker, polemicist, publisher, political activist, etc.
* I have extensive networks cutting across all strata of society, including government, business, entertainment, media, world leaders, etc.
* I cut across two regional zones, the South/South and the South/West, with my father from Ihievbe, Edo State, and my mum from Gbongan in Osun State.
* I represent the delicate religious balance in Nigeria, with my grandparents who were Muslims and parents who were Christians.
* I’m a fresh blood who has not been tainted by political appointments or public office. Most of the current aspirants carry one negative baggage or the other, with criminal charges dangling on some of them.
* I have demonstrated the traits of a competent builder with the way I have built a global brand from scratch.
* I’m one of the most popular Nigerians around today cutting across all ethnic groups. I have interacted with Nigerians at home and abroad in over 60 countries.
* I have an excellent relationship with local and international media.
* I would be able to raise funds through the youths who see me as their role model as well as members of the business community who are hoping Nigeria would have a cerebral bridge-builder, a successful businessman, a dependable ideologue and a visionary leader as President, opposed to the rabble-rousers who would further inflame our polity.
* My candidacy would enjoy worldwide appeal and acclaim.
* I have a formidable collection of campaign materials and they are ready to be deployed as soon as I’m privileged to secure the ticket of our great party.
Other relevant materials are attached.
Sir, I would be most delighted to answer any further enquiries on this application.
Together we shall move this nation to greater heights.
“Without any doubt, none of the aspirants is closer to the youths than me. I’m not a big man. I relate at every level and I’m very accessible. I have touched lives everywhere with my modest resources. I have traveled everywhere and I know our youths and they know me. I’m a grassroots man. I have always promoted our youths in academia, fashion, entertainment, business and so on. I promise to use our resources sensibly. I won’t waste time, money and energy on white elephant projects that will not benefit the people whether young or old. I will always think deep before I act, and avoid the costly mistakes of trying to climb the tree from the top. We must rebuild our nation with a clear vision and not ego-trip. We will provide opportunities for our youths to contribute to nation-building. I’m eagerly waiting for the opportunity to hold summits with youth leaders globally, to sell our vision, and to tap into their incredible talents. The leaders we have seen are too big to come down from their high horses. I’m humble and simple enough to connect to those who have been described as The Salt of the World.” – Bashorun Dele Momodu said.